Pablo Mari undergoes back surgery and feels ´lucky´ to survive stabbing attack

Pablo Mari underwent successful back surgery on Friday after Monza s on-loan Arsenal defender survived a stabbing attack near Milan.

The Spanish defender is expected to be out of action for at least two months, Monza said.

One person died in Thursday s attack and a suspect was arrested after being disarmed, with former Napoli footballer Massimo Tarantino named as being among those who stopped the assault.

Monza said in a statement: The specialists of the general surgery-trauma team of the Niguarda hospital in Milan this morning carried out the surgery to reconstruct the two injured muscles on Pablo Marí s back.

The surgery went well and a hospital stay of two or three days is expected.

Monza said a rehabilitation stage will begin once Mari is d…

Atleti to monitor injured Morata ahead of Porto trip

Alvaro Morata is a doubt for Atletico Madrid s Champions League clash with Porto after suffering an ankle injury early in Saturday s defeat at Cadiz.

The Spain striker looked in great discomfort when he was replaced by Matheus Cunha just 10 minutes into Atleti s 3-2 LaLiga loss.

Morata underwent tests on Sunday, which revealed he has not sustained serious damage to his right ankle.

Atleti will monitor Morata ahead of a final Group B clash with Porto on Tuesday, when they will attempt to secure a Europa League spot after failing to qualify for the round of 16 of Europe s premier club competition.

Our team started to prepare for Tuesday s Porto-Atleti

— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish)

Alvaro Morata suffers from soft tissue edema in…

Eto’o reveals he almost moved to Premier League

Cameroonian striker Samuel Eto’o has revealed that he was close to signing for a Premiership club after leaving Barcelona in 2009.

The 30-year-old says he had already agreed to join an English club before a phone call from Massimo Moratti persuaded him into joining Inter instead.

“Before going to Italy, I was almost signed to another club,” Eto’o told L’Equipe.

“Everything was sorted but then after a match in Yaounde, I received a call from president Moratti and several minutes after one from Jose Mourinho

“I do not regret that decision. I was brave because I broke my word. I had to tell the English team and it was really tough, but they understood.”

Eto’o also revealed how he had been contacted regarding a move to Anzhi.

<…

Zlatan’s agent rules out Real Madrid move; Juventus keen on Borussia Dortmund hotshot

Zlatan’s agent rules out Real Madrid move

The agent of Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has moved to deny reports that his client might join Real Madrid.

The Sweden international recently revealed that he was no longer enjoying football, which led to speculations linking him with a move away from San Siro.

Real Madrid reportedly expressed interest in the 30-year-old, but the player’s agent says Ibrahimovic is happy at Milan.

“This is a typically Italian soap opera around Zlatan,” Ernesto Bronzetti told Radio Sportiva.

“I am convinced Adriano Galliani is right, in that there’s no need to worry. I can categorically rule out he’s looking for a transfer.

“Ibrahimovic is happy at Milan and I don’t know a single player who spe…

Xhaka happy at Gladbach amid Arsenal links

Granit Xhaka has stressed he is happy at Borussia Monchengladbach amid reports linking him with a move to Arsenal, but has refused to rule out a transfer ahead of next season.

Xhaka joined Gladbach from Basel in 2012 and has since developed into a key figure at the club, making over 100 Bundesliga appearances.

Arsenal have allegedly identified the Switzerland international as a potential signing as they look to strengthen their midfield, but Gladbach head coach Andre Schubert recently stressed the influential midfielder would at least cost €30 million.

And Xhaka is adamant a transfer is by no means a foregone conclusion.

I am really happy at Borussia and have a contract until June 2020, the 23-year-old told Kicker.

If an offer comes in…

AC Milan v Juventus: De Sciglio wants to deny Bianconeri historic double

Juventus head into the Coppa Italia final at the Stadio Olimpico on Saturday on the brink of a historic achievement, but Mattia De Sciglio thinks AC Milan can stop them.

Massimiliano Allegri led the club to a fifth straight Scudetto this season and they will be looking to become the first Italian side to win back-to-back doubles in Rome.

After losing Andrea Pirlo, Arutro Vidal and Carlos Tevez, Juve recovered from a woeful start to the campaign that saw them lie in 14th position after winning just two of their first eight games.

However, a phenomenal recovery that included a 26-game unbeaten streak propelled them to the title with a nine-point advantage.

Juve could now become the first side to successfully defend the Serie A and Coppa titles. In order t…

Favre considers Sancho sanction after passport mishap

Borussia Dortmund coach Lucien Favre has yet to decide if Jadon Sancho will be punished after he left his passport at home and delayed the team s flight to London ahead of facing Tottenham in the Champions League.

All eyes will be on Sancho when he features against Spurs at Wembley, as the England international is set for something of a homecoming in the city where he grew up.

It will be Sancho s first competitive club match on English soil since opting to leave Manchester City to join Dortmund in 2017.

Still just 18, the winger has made a real impression in the Bundesliga, scoring seven times in 21 league games this season to help his side top the table.

However, his preparations for Wednesday s outing were hardly ideal, as he initially lforgot h…

Rivaldo: Messi still ahead of Neymar

Lionel Messi remains ahead of Neymar as the best player at Barcelona, according to former Brazil star Rivaldo.

Neymar has claimed two LaLiga and Copa del Rey doubles, as well as the Champions League, since completing his controversial move from Santos to Camp Nou in 2013.

Rivaldo, twice a league champion with Barca and a a key part of Brazil s World Cup triumph in 2002, recently backed his compatriot to become the world s leading player if he continues to develop under Luis Enrique.

But the 1999 World Player of the Year and Ballon d Or winner concedes that Argentina star Messi is still his old club s leading light.

As a Brazilian, I ve really enjoyed the progress Neymar has made for the last two years, he told L Equipe.

But for all that he ha…

Arteta does not think FA Cup final will be Aubameyang´s last game for Arsenal

Mikel Arteta does not believe the FA Cup final will prove to be Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang s last game as an Arsenal player.

The Arsenal captain, who has one year left on his contract, hopes to help his side to a Wembley victory over rivals Chelsea on Saturday and secure his first piece of silverware since moving to London in January 2018. 

Without a win, the Gunners will miss out on European football for the first time in 25 years.

Arteta concedes continental football is essential for a club of Arsenal s size and remains optimistic that Aubameyang can be persuaded to stay, particularly if he lifts the cup.

No, I don t have that feeling, he told reporters when asked if he thought it would be the Gabon international s last match for the club.

It …

Milan revive Torreira interest

AC Milan have reignited their interest in signing Lucas Torreira from Arsenal, according to . The midfielder could be allowed to leave north London this summer as a part of the team rebuild at Arsenal, conducted by head coach Mikel Arteta. are also reportedly keen on the 24-year-old Uruguay international.

Torreira arrived to Arsenal in the summer of 2018, when Unai Emery took charge of the team. He started 24 games in all competitions in his first season with the Gunners, but that number fell to 17 in 2019/20 with Arteta favouring the duo of Granit Xhaka and Dani Ceballos in the middle of the park, especially after the incident which followed the defeat at Brighton and Hove Albion and saw Matteo Guendouzi lose the trust of the coach too.

Arsenal have been trying to wor…